Game Points Cards outselling Controllers as #1 Video Game Accessory
NPD’s Michael Klotz has shown us, yet again, how the trend towards digital distribution is the future of the industry. In a GDC Online 2010 panel, Michael Klotz was discussing how the PC Gaming is set for growth in 2010. Physical games are still generating more revenue than digital distribution but gamers purchased more digital titles than physical discs up to August of this year.
One of the most notable statistics in the presentation is that of digital point card sales. Retail revenues are being sustained by the sale of points cards like Microsoft’s Points Cards or the Playstation Network Cards. Game Controllers have long been the #1 selling gaming accessory with AC cords coming second. The points cards have overtaken the game controller as the top selling gaming accessory with a 37% increase in sales.
It’s no wonder retailers like GameStop are announcing plans to offer digital sales to compensate for the industry shift.
- NPD at GDC: PC retail to grow, physical and digital purchase gap closing (joystiq.com)
- Fifa 2011 Outselling PES 2011 in the Battle of the Football Video Games (crenk.com)
- Why GameStop’s “Store Of The Future” Is Anything But [Business] (kotaku.com)
- Video game sales dip slightly in July (news.cnet.com)
- Video games enter new frontiers (financialpost.com)